Saturday, August 7, 2010

just another day in paradise

zanzibar is amazing. my description won’t do it justice- such a perfect tropical paradise, warm and a little humid with nights just as comfortable, incredible food, pristine beaches… the buildings and mosques of crumbling stone, eaten away by the salty sea air, are rustic and beautiful, whitewashed to match the sand on the beaches and covered in thatched roofs. paradise doesn’t get better than this…

if I could pick a way to spend my days for the rest of my life, here’s one option I would choose. i’d sleep in, but not too late, and wake up without an alarm. i’d have breakfast outside, and someone would serve me fresh fruit and other foods I find delicious and i’d have endless tea and coffee just the way I like it. the weather would naturally be beautiful - warm, but not too hot, with a few clouds to keep the sky interesting. I would gather my things: sunscreen, a good book, my ipod with all of my favorite music, and i’d make my way to the beach. this would only take me a minute or two, because in my perfect day I would have slept the night in a place only a stone’s throw from the ocean. I would lay out in the sun and read, listening to music, and when I got too hot I would retreat to the cool ocean water. I would wade in the water, the smooth white sand beneath my feet, and once I was deep enough I would lay there, floating on my air mattress of salt water. I could almost fall asleep i’d be so relaxed just bobbing with the small waves. later I would play volleyball, there would definitely have to be some beach volleyball involved on my perfect day, I mean, what’s a day at the beach without volleyball? and I would play with friends and we would have a great time and play until we were tired and thirsty and covered in sand from head to foot. then I would make my way to the grocery store – it’s on the beach of course, so I don’t have to leave my sunny paradise, not even to buy a drink. I would get the ginger ale, real ginger ale, so strong with the smell and taste of ginger that it burns your tongue a little bit as you drink it. I would savor that soda as I lay on the beach, reading more of my good book. I would finish my book and feel satisfied. then I would decide I’m hungry so I’d opt for a lunch of fruit: an orange, banana with peanut butter, and a coconut fresh cut from the tree and chopped open for me to enjoy with a spoon made of the skin so that I can eat the ‘coconut calamari’ inside. I’d stroll back down to the beach, full and happy and ready for a swim. I’d take off against the current, stroke after stroke, a relaxed journey along the beach. I’d swim in that perfect, turquoise water until I was tired… though I never get tired of water, or swimming, so rather I’d swim until I was ready to float and then I’d roll onto my back, close my eyes, and drift some more, the warm afternoon sun heating my face and toes. I’d eventually swim back, find a place on the beach next to one of the friendly stray dogs, and sit there with him, petting his soft ears and watching the sunset. if I could pick a way to spend my days for the rest of my life, that’s pretty much how I’d do it. now if I could arrange for family and friends to join me during this day, I definitely would, and then it would be truly perfect. pretty much the only thing that could make me happier after such an amazing day as this would be dark chocolate :) what kind of an island, or country for that matter, doesn’t have dark chocolate?! I suppose you can’t have everything... zanzibar, you are a wonderful paradise, thanks for the holiday. to everyone back home, wish you were here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment